Sunday 29 June 2008

Notes from "The Campest Straight Guy" on the trip...

Another quick post as everyone is queueing up behind me on the only computer in this village. In Krgyzstan at the moment and I love it - mountains like in Georgia but with an Asian feel kind of sums it up... We've had 2 lots of 3 days bush camping in the mountains, both just stunning locations at 3000m and 2000m respectively, we're at the start of the Himalayas here. Just fantastic to chill out, play with kites, get sunburnt and enjoy the scenery. Have had a go at riding horses, amazing fun, especially the more expensive ones that actually did what I was telling them to do... The locals organised a game of goat polo for us too which was incredible to watch - they brought the goat over (christened "Dunfor" by us), chopped the poor things head and legs off and then spent the next 2 hours fighting over it on horseback! Certainly shows that I need more practice on a horse...


Had a few nights in the capital Bishkek to sort out visas, unfortunately it will take a month to issue them which screws up all of our plans, so we're going north to Borat country for a few days, then flying to Delhi in India and borrowing a truck from another company as there's just no way to get our lovely Penelope into India (China have said no to groups completely now). Still will be great fun but we loose a lot of creature comforts - charging sockets, boats, bikes, kites and a load of other stuff that we filled her with before leaving. On the plus side I can send some of my crap back and might actuallybe able to carry my bag from now on... We're also loosing 4 people who have decided to do China on their own (strangely they let individuals in, but no trucks, and Pete has looked at every way around the problem!)

To explain the title of this post, we had a fancy dress night where names were picked out of a hat and you had to buy a costume at the market for that person. Well, I ended up with a lovely stripey blue skimpy top, boxers, a rubber ring and a sign saying "For Sail". Add that to the pink toenails (don't ask) and it seems you get "The Campest Straight Guy I know", thanks Kirsten!

Think that's all for now, anyone thinking of a funky holiday destination, give Kyrgyzstan a go - I love it!

PS. I drove the truck today! New career plan is to be a truck driver - it's amazing. And before you ask (Andy!), no I didn't crash it/bend it/break it etc.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Rich,

I see you are having great time, who disiced to do Chine by their own? It's pitty, I don't want your group no to finish together, you are having an incredible time together:( anyway I am sure you will spend great time. I've read in your blog, that you are going to be truck driver :) you think about it seriously? it's really great, then you may drive to Georgia as well :)) I found your blogg just now, linked from Kirsten's one, and I am glad, I saw photos on Facebook as well, they are amazing, more pics won't be bad, you know photos are more talkative :)

wish you all the best of luck and happy journey!!!

with kind regards and best wishes

Tamuna, your Georgian guide :)