Wednesday 16 July 2008

I fancy chicken (in) Dharamsala

Made it back to Delhi on the train, someone grabbed my back pocket as I got on, not sure if they were trying to grab my wallet (which wasn't in there) or just fancied a quick grope - either way I was glad that we were going back to find our new truck!
Archie is a truck borrowed from Dragoman and doesn't quite compare with the luxury and quantity of toys we had on Penelope, but with only 15 of us now it's spacious enough and seems a bit quicker up the hills too, useful when the quickest things on the roads are buses and they'll overtake anything, anywhere to get past you!
Went to Chandrigah for a night and had a fantastic selection of curries at a restaurant with a wild west bar downstairs. Went to the Rock Gardens which were absolutely incredible - I thought they were almost better than the Taj Mahal (main reason being it cost 12p to get in, rather than the ridiculous 10 quid the Taj cost!). A guy just started making little sculptures one day and it's grown from that to an amazing place with huge waterfalls, temples, sculptures, models, swings and all sorts. Really wasn't expecting it which I think is why I liked it so much... if you find yourself there you have to go!
Spent 2 days on the truck braving tiny twisty mountain roads which seem packed with cargo trucks heading up to Dharamsala, the exiled home of the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan government. Really cool little place, very different feel to the other places we've been so far in India, but quite touristy (in some ways a good thing, lots of italian restaurants and cake shops!). We've got 3 days here, our hotel looks over the Dalai Lamas home and temple and down the mountain, when it's clear you can see for miles into the valley below.
Went to see the temple today and managed to get there at prayer time which was quite nice as I could wander round and take photos without getting in anyones way. Monks seem very friendly, was almost tempted to get a "Free Tibet" shirt until I saw someone wearing one and how touristy they looked whilst wandering round here. Might just stick some money in a donation box instead...
Got a few days to explore here and chill out, a few people are doing a cookery course tomorrow, think I'll just go for a wander as there's a few routes around here to do, or find a cafe and a book and make myself at home...

No comments: